Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Lettering Lesson...

Another of the most popular questions, I think, is always about how to letter, what to letter with, and I seem to get compliments on this more than anything.  I'll try to share my secrets with you here.  As I do more lettering, I'll do more posts, but I have a few examples on hand for you.

First:  the tools of the trade...meet my newest two BFF's...

The white marker up there ^^^ is one of the Elmer's paint pens I was referred to by other rock painters who I wish I could tag on here.  You can get these in several sizes, and they come from Wal Mart for $1.97 in a multitude of colors.  They also last forever, and the tip doesn't get all funky.  The one I write with is the "Ultra Fine" tip.   Here is an example of the writing I do with this marker:


I also use the Elmer's one to do my highlighting on my bigger lettering, like this:
And to make teeny markings like this:
(For the record, once I got that finished, it no longer looked like a jellybean, but looked more like a dill pickle.  Poor rock.)


This is my other BFF, my black medium point POSCA marker.  There are not quite accessible, but worth the weight, and they aren't too costly.  Posca has fine tips as well, but for the price and the performance, I'd get the medium Posca ones and the Elmer's for the writing.  One way to make writing pop is to write in the thicker color, like I have done with the black here:
and then use the thinner Elmers to write a smaller line inside the thicker lettering.  This seems to be what most people ask about, as far as specific lettering questions go.  There are actually very few times that one will see my work not outlined, or lettering done in only one color.  I am big on highlighting.  You'll notice now that I've pointed it out that my other lettering I've already shared has this "feature" to it as well.

Receiving compliments specifically on my handwriting happens, too.  But let me tell you something...the only time I remember getting in trouble at school was when my 5th grade math teacher, Mr. Prichard, called my dad and showed him my sloppy papers.  I got a spanking for that, and a good tongue lashing, too.  And I had to miss recess, but that was never really my favorite anyways.  My writing got marginally neater after that, and I'm being generous by saying "marginally".  Fast forward a decade and a half, and I find myself teacher Kindergarten.  People, if you want neat handwriting, RUN to your nearest dollar-type store and buy a book with lettering practice for little people, and DO IT.  Practice.  Make a conscious effort to design your letters correctly.  It's a learned skill, and I believe with the right effort and want-to, anyone can master it.  LET ME ALSO SAY THIS:  Your handwriting is cherished by your loved ones, even if they don't know it.  Think back over prized possessions you have...or have come across over the years....I bet you've encountered hand-written recipes, letters, and what-nots by your loved ones that made you remember them in a special way.  I still have a Yahtzee card that my Gramps filled out, and I'd trade it for nothing on this earth.  I still have letters and cards from my great grandmother, my Granny, and my Grandma.  It was THEIR handwriting, that they thought wasn't good, that I love.  So don't discount your own handwriting, ya hear?

If I could offer up any other handwriting tips, it would be to loosen your hand up.  Write what you want to write for good as practice with pencil and paper.  Let it flow...don't "try"...it will look shaky.  And also remember..."perfect" is not the look we are working for.  Work with what you've got...you'll learn and love it.  If you don't find that you can write in a straight manner, draw lines, paint them, too.  I"ll make an example tonight.  Thanks!  Ya'll just gave me inspiration for the evening!

Last, I like the way different letters look be it capital, lower-case, or my own touches that make my lettering recognizable as...well, mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment